links

Monday, September 26, 2011

09/25/2011: The Kenpo Ohana 2011 Charity Benefit Camp - My own notes from my sessions

For my own records, here are some of the points from my session time at The Ohana:

1. Grandmaster Robert Temple: Partnership Training - Focusing on Timing and Rhythm for Combat
  • Relaxation
  • Proper alignment
  • Timing & rhythm
Brother Robert is one of the most inspirational people I know. Combine that with his talent, passion, and knowledge of fighting, and there's never a dull moment. When he told me previously he was going to bring his own drummer, I was intrigued. After experiencing sparring (1st time in over a year due to various injuries) while the drummer was playing, it made me want to get a drummer for our own class. When the drummer stopped playing, I found myself missing it. It was incredible how much energy and intensity the rhythm of the drum could bring, and how empty of a void it left when he stopped. From this session, I found I need to work on all of the above points, specifically breaking rhythm, varying 2-5 strikes/attack, and just relaxing the body. But it was great getting out on the floor with Brother Robert. Just moving around with him, I felt smoother and more fluid.

2. Associate Professor Manny Martinez: Kenpo in the Cage
  • The asterisk/45 degree angles/"Cutting the pie",
  • Understanding differing stance work at long range, mid range, close range
  • Differing weapons at the different ranges
Brother Manny's seminar was one of those workshops that make you go back to everything you've ever learned from the very beginning and allow you to learn it over again in a brand new light. I found his teaching to be practical, yet very profound. Out of everything I learned this day, this seminar will probably take me the longest to apply. I can go back and dissect every movement, every self defense technique, every form, and see how the above principles and theories can be applied. That's going to take awhile. But the outcome will be tremendous - More understanding of how to generate the most effective power and defense based on range.

3. Master Paul Dye: Blending old Parker Kenpo and new Parker Kenpo
  • Some of the original SGM Ed Parker techniques
  • Why SGM Parker modified them or took them out of the system
  • Ed Parker stories that show who he was, what his character and personality was
I remember learning "The Dancer" self defense technique while a yellow or orange belt waaaay back in the early 80s. And then it disappeared, and now I finally learned why. It wasn't that the technique was invalid, or didn't work. In fact, as we worked it and other "archived" techniques during this session, it was acknowledged that "The Dancer" and these other techniques were far more effective than some of the material in the official system. But Mr. Parker had his reasons for taking them out or modifying them, and changing the system mid-stream, even if it meant disappointing his senior ranks. Some of his students would stay through the changes, but many would leave. Using "The Dancer" as a character study really showed the type of person Mr. Parker was and what he was trying to do. Mr. Dye, Mr. Rich Hale, and Mr. Dave Thompson all gave personal accounts to flesh out these stories about what type of person SGM Ed Parker was, and what Kenpo was to him - and what that means for us who practice his system, some of us teachers.

And those were just from the sessions I was able to attend. Would love to hear from those who attended the other presenters and what they discussed. Post your notes to comments, or to the VKfit or Victory Karate Facebook pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment